Friday, July 1, 2016

Magic changes in my Crown’s Hold Campaign

I mean it, damnit! There is no such thing as necromancy! Those dudes are just REALLY skinny!
Spell list ver1.0
I must begin by admitting my love for the WFRP1’s magic system. Particularly the Necromantic and Demonic lines which I consider tasty bits of perfection.
Battle Magic, which I like a lot of (particularly due to Heal and Fireball as 1st level spells), there are certain things I dislike. Some purely for gaming purposes, such as Open Lock as a petty magic spell (pretty much eliminating the need for anyone to learn Pick Locks). Then the silly ones, Magic Bridge, I’m looking at you.
Due to the nature of ‘Magic’ in my Future Planet Where Magic Works and Screws Technology overdone trope world, I’ve had to alter the spell lists to mirror my internal justifications for how I see it all work.
Availability of spells are heavily dependent on the players rank in their related Faction. In particular the Inquisitorial spells, which are gained in the order listed as Faction Points are gained.
In Anglypur’s Mageregime, there were no limits placed upon magical research, so they were not limited as the Empire’s Wizard Guild was.
Necromantic magic was considered a great danger in both Anglypur and the Central Empire. Necromancy never gained a foothold in the Empire, while in Anglypur, the Great purge approximately a few hundred years ago pushed the practice into extinction… Probably.
Hypergeometric Magic was something that was a rather recent discovery (some say from outside forces) in Anglypur. Inquisitors are of the opinion it was this discovery that instigated the fall of Anglypur.
Note: All forms of magic may cause disabilities in my world, however membership in the Guild alleviates it somewhat...
New spells are italicized. I will add descriptions for these at a later date.
As always, comments are appreciated.
Petty/Hedge Magic:
Curse, Magic Flame, Remove Curse, Zone of Cold, Zone of Warmth

Hermetic (Battle) Magic Level 1:
Aura of Resistance, Cure Light Injury, Delouse, Fireball (reskinned as Rend and using WP save rather than a Dodge check), Immunity to Poison.

Hermetic Magic Level 2:
Aura of Protection, Cure Poison, Ignite (targets blackpowder weapons, powder kegs, etc.), Zone of Steadfastness.

Hermetic Magic Level 3:
Dispel Aura, Borrow Magic Points (volunteers only), Transfer Aura.

Hermetic Magic Level 4:
Aura of Invulnerability, Cure Severe Wound, Strength of Mind

Anglypurian Magic [These are additional Hermetic spells as used by the Mageregime, can be found by the players for use, doesn’t require any additional skill levels to learn other than making a Knowledge (Anglypur) test. These are not the limit of spells available to Mageregime Wizards, these are in addition to the Hermetic Magic list:
Petty: Gift of Tongues, Sleep, Sounds, Zone of Silence.
Level 1: Cause Animosity, Hammerhand, Steal Mind, Strength of Combat.
Level 2: Cause Frenzy, Cause Hatred, Cause Panic, Hold Flight,
Level 3: Cause Cowardly Flight, Cause Fear, Cause Stupidity,
Level 4: Change Allegiance, Stand Still

Necromantic Spells remain as written

Hypergeometric (Demonic) Magic: Demonology spells remain as written (at this point) except the “Demons” are, of course, reskinned to be more campaign specific (think Lovecraftian). Additional spells that fit the Hypergeometric mold are added below:

Hypergeometric Magic Level 2:
Mystic Mist, Zone of Sanctuary

Hypergeometric Magic Level 3:
Cause Instability,

Inquisitorial Magic Level 1:
Detect magic, steal magical power*

Inquisitorial Magic Level 2:
Dispel magic, drain magic, zone of magical immunity*

*See Restless Dead supplement

3 comments:

  1. We didn't discuss Petty magic spells prior to this post. What are your thoughts on how they are acquired and the xp cost to learn them? I think they should be available to learn through the Wizard Guild and cost 50 xp? (That is the going rate for Petty magic in WHFRP).
    With respect to magic bridge and a few other spells, they are legacy from the miniature game where such things were more useful. One of my minor critiques of the 1st ed WHFRP is that GW tried to do a 1:1 from the miniature game which left some "oddities". On the other hand, this is great if you played a combined RPG and table top mini game (which I did once and really liked).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I ran my games up in Michigan, I heavily used miniatures in my WFRP campaigns. I had painted up so many damn miniatures, I loved using them. Thus the reason you now own my all my Dwarven Forge sets. Speaking of that, I still have a crap-load of minis that need painting. Alas, I now live a 2 hour plane flight away, so game entirely online. As such, they waste away in unpainted purgatory.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete