Wednesday, March 21, 2018

More buildings!

This is a fortified dwelling that will serve as a military outpost.
And here we have our local temple and black smith. Yuan-ti shown for scale. All these buildings open up for interior gaming use, but I haven't painted them yet, nor have I painted furniture, etc. I'll tackle that once we start gaming again.

I'm getting the buildings from which are licensed printers for printable scenery.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Freshly painted Town terrain.

Picked these up from a company that prints other company's 3D printer plans. Planning on getting just a few more, so it's definitely cheaper than buying a 3D printer, plus I work too much to really build them from scratch (maybe in the future for special things like a massive castle or something).

Now, I just need to get the guys on schedule to either re-start the Crown's Hold Campaign -or- start up a new one...

Monday, February 12, 2018

Some freshly painted figures for the (potential) coming meat-space campaign.

Here's the ones that are 'finished'

And here's the mess of figures I'm working on. As some of you know, for the most part I prefer the really old 'chunky' Grenadier figures, along with Ral Partha, Heritage, and RAFM. I also backed a couple of the Reaper Bones Kickstarters, so there's a few in there, too.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

1st Completed MegaDungeon level

Just a few pics of the first 3' x 7' level of my Mega Dungeon made of 1' square modular dungeon sections. (Ignore the figures surrounding the dungeon, I had them spread on the table divided up into painting schemes in preparation for painting).

Monday, January 29, 2018

Dungeon modular terrain

I'm going to start this one with a pic of the foam cutter I used to cut all the 1"x 0.5"x 0.5" bricks I used to build these sections. Quite handy, I say. Picked it up at Hobby Lobby. The blue material you see on it is just poster hanging goo I used to hold my guide in place as I pushed the foam through the cutter.

I began these tiles with cardboard pieces cut into squares, two pieces each glued together perpendicularly so as to help with warping (still got some anyway). I then used my old standby: light-weight spackle to coat one side of the board, then used a straight edge to press out 0.5" 'tiles.' Precision isn't necessary, I want these for gaming. If they get banged up, fine, at least they're seeing use! My first layer of bricks, I used Gorilla Glue, as I wasn't sure how the foam would stick to the spackling compound.
Here's a shot of the first one I did, but hadn't quite got the knack of mass-cutting the bricks. You can see below my masonry skill gets much better. 3 layers of bricks seem right for this section.
A base-coat of black spray paint...

After a medium gray heavy drybrush on the floor tiles, a brown drybrush and the 'dirty' sections, and a dark green wash of the brickwork. Next is a light drybrush of green on the bricks and a very light green wash to the tiles.

The completed 2' x 3' dungeon section!
It looks a little greener in this pic than it actually is. That, or I need to start painting with a brighter lights.

That completes my 1st level of my megadungeon, which I will take a picture of it all together. In the future I may add another 3 tiles to this, but really, due to vision distances in the dark and the modularity of the pieces, they're probably not needed. My next level of the megadungeon will involve different methods of construction and color schemes.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Underground Sea modular terrain

Every mega-dungeon needs an underground sea area, right? Found some fairly inexpensive foamcore with a nice green base color. For this type of terrain brown or blue would have worked as well. Just slapped some spackling compound on the edge portion for a shore line. I love spackle because you can really pile it up if need be and it comes in great big tubs if you need it.

Painted some 50/50 white glue and water randomly onto the shore areas to give it a more interesting texture.

Next came some random black spray paint.

Finally, after 3 coats of clear gloss finish (warning, it's oil based, just about guaranteed to wreck whichever brush you use on it), I have completed the shore line of my underground sea. If my players figure out some way to get/find a boat/raft down there and want to sail, I can easily whip up more a couple more for that endless seas appeal!